ABOUT US ECOLOGY
US Ecology, Inc. is a leading North American provider of environmental services to commercial and government entities. The Company addresses the complex waste management needs of its customers by offering treatment, disposal and recycling of industrial, hazardous and radioactive waste, as well as a wide range of complementary field and industrial services. US Ecology’s focus on safety, environmental compliance, and customer service, enables us to effectively meet the needs of our customers and to build long-lasting relationships. Headquartered in Boise, Idaho, with operations in the United States, Canada and Mexico, the Company has been protecting the environment since 1952.
The Environmental Health & Safety Specialist is responsible for assuring environmental, health and safety compliance with local, state and federal regulations. The primary purpose of the position is to ensure that field operations are conducted in a safe and compliant manner. Oversee all site EHS engagement programs to maintain visibility of the safety program and open lines of communication with all employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensures that health and safety projects are conducted in a safe manner, according to company, industry and regulatory safety and health standards.
- Ensures occupational health, safety, and hygiene programs are effective.
- Ensures employees receive required safety training and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) equipment as required by law and best business practice.
- Inspects facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, and recommends corrective or preventative measures where indicated.
- Develops and delivers health and safety training programs and media, which will increase proficiency in safe practices and promote safety consciousness.
- Monitors accidents to determine corrective actions required.
- Controls employee expose to hazardous waste, chemicals and radiation.
- Coordinates with insurance carriers and workers’ compensation insurance regarding claims and to proactively avoid claims.
- Consults with departments on design and use of equipment, fire prevention and safety programs.
- Compiles and submits accident and other reports required by regulatory agencies and company management.
- Represents the company in community or industry safety groups and programs.
- Maintains safety files and health records as required by regulations and management.
- Performs other, related duties as assigned. These are duties may not be specifically listed in this description, but which are within the general nature typically associated with the employee’s level of work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree required, technical field preferred
- At least two years in a health and safety role. Demonstrated broad knowledge of safety related regulations.
- DOT and/or EPA compliance experience a plus
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to deal with unstructured problems that require defensible decisions on complex safety and regulatory matters
- Performance of other duties and responsibilities as required by management
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES (SKA)
- To perform the duties of this job, the employee must have knowledge of regulations specific to the environmental waste industry management principles and best practices.
- Knowledge and understanding of current health and safety, industrial hygiene and field and industrial services practices.
- Broad knowledge OSHA regulations and ISO programs.
- Essential competencies to perform this job include analytical, organizational and problem solving skills; must be detail oriented and possess technical aptitude.
- Ability to work under pressure, exercise independent judgment and select effective course of action while controlling resources and expenditures.
- Knowledge of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint applications is essential.
- To perform duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, and use a PC.
- Uses hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Up to 50% of time will require employee to be outside in the elements wearing required PPE.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, and lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Visits to operation sites should not represent different physical demands.
- Required to be in both the office and field to perform duties.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of radiation.
- The noise level in this work environment is usually moderate.